Background History Until 1851, Clunes enjoyed peaceful aboriginal and pastoral occupation. A Scot, Donald Cameron, had his homestead in the Clunes valley and the existence of gold was soon suspected.
Words by Anthony Sawrey, reprinted from The Local, April 11, 2022. Research assisted by Allison Thorpe, Clunes Museum. On the river flats along the Creswick Creek in the area known
Words by Anthony Sawrey, with permission of The LocalResearch by Clunes Museum On November 27, 2021 a plaque was unveiled at Collins Place, Clunes, honouring the memory of Francis Joseph
Words by Tony Sawrey, with permission of The Local The shop at 49 Fraser Street, Clunes has been in existence since the 1870s. Its first tenant was John Lemmon, a
The Clunes Town Hall and Courthouse is a striking municipal building designed by Percy Oakden. Built in 1872, the distinctive building reflected the prosperity of a gold mining town in
While not many people would realise it today, most towns in this region, indeed across Victoria, had areas set aside known as Town Commons. Words by Anthony Sawrey, with permission